Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Call Me Mix Master

My sister is a FOODIE QUEEN. She knows how to use things like rosemary, prosciutto, cooking twine, make her own fancy pasta, season things properly and pair the correct wine with it. When I was visiting her a few weekends ago she was putting together some tuna salad sandwiches for us. She put some tuna aside for me so I could put mine into large pieces of living lettuce instead of bread (seen below). I took my first bite and it was exceptionally good.

I was like sister, what did you do to this canned TUNA?

Ummmm I added salt and pepper!


Just tuna, salt, pepper and avocado in some lettuce. So good, so good.
My mind exploded. Like I don't add anything like that to any of the food I ever make. A few days ago a coworker asked me what I was going to make for dinner that night. My response was I have no clue, it depends what is in my fridge.

I have decided I am not a cook, but an ASSEMBLER. If I am making a meal for myself my thought process is so simple. I open the fridge and pick a main protein, like tuna, tofu, beans, shrimp or fish. Then I simply pick out all some of the veggies, pick a sauce and done! Dinner. By sauce I usually mean a Marsala, stir fry or tomato sauce. On week nights I am usually just getting done with a work out and am very hungry or I am in a huge rush to just eat and get into bed. Regardless, I leave the fancy cooking to my sister :)


Asparagus, tofu, and yellow peppers sauteed in a mango curry sauce over a mashed sweet potato
My new breakfast staple: oatmeal with chia seeds and wheat germ, blueberries, strawberries and walnuts

Spinach, chickpeas, avocado, Gorgonzola, blueberries, walnuts and hemp. I love making my salads in a Tupperware container so I can add my dressing then shake the heck out of it to mesh all the flavas. 
Tofu, zucchini and squash simmered in Marsala sauce over a sweet potato with cashews on top

1 comment:

Foodie Girl said...

:) Sister you are too kind! You have to make me a salad next time I come over... it looks super yummy!